July 1, 2018

Finally in the water

After months of contractor and weather delays, we finally got Borealis into the water on June 26. It was about two months after our usual April splash date and took countless hours of hard work.

Hallberg-Rassy 37 Borealis water slip marina dock

We bought Borealis in December and had her in the water once during our sea trial, but for the better part of two years, the boat has been sitting on the hard with no use. When it was time to go, her engine started hard, and we had a few issues with electronics (no wind or speed), but all went well moving the boat from our sister marina - where we wintered her out of the water - to our home marina and slip a few miles south on the Chesapeake Bay. We were even blessed to see dolphins swimming around us as we made the early morning move.

Borealis Hallberg Rassy 37 Herrington Marina sailing

It's been a long few months getting to this day, and anyone who has ever owned a boat will tell you it's not all sunshine, calm seas and rum drinks. Since December we have poured almost every hour of our weekends into tearing the boat apart and tackling projects to get Borealis ready to sail.

Hallberg Rassy 37 water diesel tanks floorboards sailboat

Lewmar gasket replacement Hallberg Rassy deck projects

To be fair, she's already a great boat and in very good condition, but our list of upgrades, repairs and renovations was long, and will continue even now that we are in the water.

Borealis Hallberg Rassy 37 wood decks mast slip
Nick's view from his first atop the mast
And, of course, a list of projects never tells the full story. While we tore through some projects quickly and easily, others took frustratingly long hours of problem solving, sourcing parts and repairs to make happen (jokes on us for buying our second European built/metric boat). Numerous times during the past six months, actual blood, sweat and tears have fallen on Borealis' wooden decks.

Fresh water pump repair Jabsco

That being said, we wouldn't trade all these months for the world, since it gave us time to really learn a lot about our new boat and its systems. So here we are, finally in the water and ready to start our adventures.

If you are interested, below is the long list of things we've tackled since December.

Upgrades, repairs and renovations to Borealis

  • Replaced solar power controller with Victron 15AMP
  • Changed all lights to LEDs
  • Replaced cockpit 12v outlet
  • Updated charts on Furuno chartplotter
  • Replaced wind transducer atop mast
  • Replaced recalled Kiddie fire extinguishers
  • Replaced EPIRB
  • MOM8A inspected (Vane Bros, Baltimore) 
  • Purchased new liferaft after original failed inspection (Defender)
Engine/prop/rudder systems 
  • Replaced cutlass bearing and Volvo shaft seal (Chesapeake Marine Engines)
  • Changed transmission oil
  • Changed engine oil
  • Changed water/fuel separator & fuel filter
  • Changed raw water impeller
  • Drained coolant and replaced with Yanmar YG30 
  • Removed/reinstalled Flexofold prop after cleaning with vinegar/sanding. Coated with Barnacle Barrier spray
  • Greased rudder with red and tacky and replaced plug 
  • Rebed forward hatch with butyl tape
  • Lubed all hatch and portlight rubber seals
  • Replaced hinge gaskets on all hatches
  • Replace corroded valve handles in head and outside head door
  • Cleaned all through hull valves with WD40 & wire brush
  • Lubed seacocks
  • Rebed forward and aft deck vents (replaced caulk forward of forward vent)
  • Replaced freshwater pump
  • Replaced seal on salon hatch
  • Replaced complete Jabsco head pump
  • Flushed fresh water tanks with bleach and water via bilge pump
  • Soda-blast hull (Opsrey Marine)
  • Repaired pinholes: 3M putty large holes, Pettit EZ Fare small pinholes
  • 4 coats white/grey Pettit Barrier paint 
  • 2 coats black Trinidad Pro antifoul
  • Reinstalled new fridge and flexfold zincs
General maintenance
  • Sanded and poly’d wood trim around all hatches
  • Washed curtains, hatch covers, cushions, upholstery, carpet
  • Installed new aft ladder grip tape
  • Touched up chips in interior wood
  • Replaced barometer/clock and removed lantern
  • Removed cockpit table and sole to inspect fuel/water tanks beneath. Cleaned.
  • Touched up entry bulkhead rails with satin poly & salon table
  • Waxed hull with Collinite 920 fiberglass cleaner and 885 wax
Deck and cockpit
  • Inspected and tuned standing rigging (The Rigging Co.)
  • Replaced main and jib halyards with 10mm Liros dyneema core 
  • Replaced staysail with 104ft NE Sta-Set
  • Replace bimini and helm cover
  • Stripped/sanded/varnished companionway doors/tables/fiddles
  • Replaced rotted ledge in anchor locker with Starboard
  • Replaced Delta anchor with Mantus 45 lbs
  • Replaced gasket in stern locker
  • Repaired deck screws and replaced bungs
  • Recaulked teak around coachroof and deck
  • Caulked around starboard deck scuppers
  • Replaced rubber carpet in cockpit lazarette
  • Rebed aft & midship starboard cleats with butyl
  • Rebed forward hatch with butyl
  • Rebed aft starboard jackline eye
  • Replaced hinges on cockpit table
  • Removed metal shards from helm wheel and removed moldy hand cover
  • Disassembled and greased Furlex
  • Greased mast furling points
  • Serviced, greased windlass 
  • Replaced bow anchor rollers
  • Climbed mast and inspected halyards and wind
  • Installed port flag halyard cleat
  • Cleaned/greased cockpit main reefing winch (Lewmar 30)
  • Cleaned/greased port mast winch
  • Laid out anchor line and inspected. Marked new lengths on chain/rode. Put mat at bottom of locker for drainage

No comments:

Post a Comment